Monday, May 4, 2009

Standardized Tests

I just shake inside when someone says we are having standardized tests. I hated them in school, I never understood why we had to take them. I could never understood how we as students could be tested on our academic ability. I believe they are unfair and some students are not great test takers so they are useless. That's why I don't undertsand why the state does not demolish standardized tests.
They scare students as well as teachers. Teachers don't even get the right to teach students what they feel they can learn because they have to teach according to the standardized tests. Instead of preparing students for real life things and situations teachers have to teach only those learning targets that specifically match the targets that will appear on the standardized assessment the students will take and giving practice using the same types of tasks formats that will appear on the assessment. Also, they have to give students practice on the same questions and tasks that they will take later, so students are missing out on so much they could be learning due to the standardized tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment